Millions of us who are already working have health insurance. Health insurance is complicated, which is why it is important to understand the policy. We are paying for our health insurances from our salary, which is sometimes subsidized by the company we are working for.
We pay for our health insurance on a continuous basis, and it is there in case something happens with our health, and we need it. That is when health insurance comes in handy. Having insurance helps a lot, but there are a lot of details about certain insurance plans. So how can we fully understand how health insurance works for us? We need a health insurance agent.
What Is a Health Insurance Agent?
Health insurance agents are licensed professionals who help you get the best plan for your needs. Health insurance agents can help you apply for government subsidies to buy health insurance, and they will make sure that before you get the product that has been offered, you will understand health insurance plans sold on the government exchange. They can also recommend a plan based on your health care needs and budget. So basically, they will do everything for you.
For a health insurance agent, selling insurance is an exciting professional career opportunity that allows them a chance to earn great money while helping people.
How to Become a Health Insurance Agent?
- Look insurance websites from your state and find out what the requirements are to acquire a license. Every state has specific requirements. It is also important to check the specific procedures on how to apply.
- Sign up for the pre-licensing course. There is a lot of different licenses that requires 20-40 hours of class study, and you will be going through a lot of tests to go in. You can take the courses either online or through an actual class setting.
- You will be undergoing a series of background checks and getting your fingerprints taken because you will be working in a highly regulated industry. You will be dealing with people’s life, welfare, and money.
- Schedule the exam. If you are half way through your pre-licensing course, you can start scheduling for the exam.
- Take the test to the nearest testing center.
- After passing the test, you can apply for your license, and then wait for it to be mailed to your home.
How Much Does a Health Insurance Agent Earn?
Unlike most professions, it depends on a lot of factors. Many companies in this industry don’t pay by salary, but instead, pay by commission. If talking about the basic range, it can be anywhere from $30,000 up to six figures. With this profession, agents are paid depending on the percentage of clients they brought to the company. Several factors can help your overall compensation in the business. It can be the time you’ve been on the market, the work and dedication you put into it, and most importantly your clients. Clients are your best resource and your biggest factor for your success.
It is important to know how important health insurance is to have, and the steps that a health insurance agent must go through to get their license.